Thursday, January 10, 2013

Ornamentally Yours


I know people who make sure to take their Christmas trees down before New Year's Day, so they'll have good luck during the New Year.

I figure I'm ahead if I get it done before March, though the truth is, I do feel a poof of exhilaration for getting to it before Epiphany because then I, too, get to be on for a clean start.
But more than that, I love revisiting favorite ornaments as I put them away.  Each one brings on such memories!










This Christmas I was gifted with two new ornaments.
This one is in honor of the fact that a penguin has always
been our icon on the back of handmade Christmas cards.
It holds mini-jelly beans.  I don't want to tell you what part of this penguin dispenses the jelly beans.










I so wish I could demonstrate this elephant's propellers because he is truly the most adorable guy ever, as he bicycles through the labyrinth that is our mantle during Christmastide.








This straw goat makes me giggle.  A friend and I went to a lecture about children in Sweden being visited by Christmas goats.  We were all a-shiver thinking about the bad goat arriving in a sleigh (earthbound, drawn by horses), demanding presents from misbehaving children.   Happily, this red one, who was given to me by that friend, isn't grumpy.







You know how your memory plays tricks with the truth?  I remember how eager I was as a child to be allowed to set up the manger scene at Christmas.  The set is mine now, but to my surprise, it turns out to be a completely mismatched set containing multiples of wise men in a telescopic array of sizes, and very few other characters.  Thank goodness there's at least a baby Jesus.







Oh, but the angels!  These little wooden, music- creating creatures from my childhood are every bit as alluring I remember!   I'm even charmed that a couple of them have misbehaved over the years, and lost a wing.







And that would explain why I'm a sucker for adding to my collection of wee wooden angels in highly unsubtle colors!












This Christmas tree ball is from my sister's tree.
Here's to spending holiday time with family and revisiting childhood stories.

Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,

    Great minds think alike; I planned to do a blog post on my Christmas ornament collection as well. You beat me to it! :) Mine may wait until next year. Thank you for sharing your lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go ahead and do it! I'm thinking I might do it again next year with different ornaments!

      Delete